Friday, July 25, 2008

Enterprise

I just finished watching the Star Trek Enterprise series (previously referred to here). This series had the misfortune of being the first to be canceled by the network airing it rather than it being ended by its producers. And now that I've seen the whole thing, I must admit I could see where they were coming from. Enterprise Season-1 went on air in 2001, and its last season (Season 4) aired in 2005.

The total flop of Star Trek - Nemesis movie didn't help matters at all, and to this date, I haven't a clue about exactly what they were thinking when they made that movie. Given it had extraordinary special effects, yes, but it also had a very ordinary storyline and worst of all, they decided to kill DATA! Horrible! Anyway, back to Enterprise: ratings for the series in question took a plunge after Nemesis debacle and Paramount decided to pull the plug on it, making it the first trek series to meet this fate and ending a 17-year run of trek shows on tv!

If you ask me, it just didn't live up to the high standards set by its predecessors. There were no captivating story-lines of DS9, fantastic acting of TNG and Voyager nor the character-development of all three. It just lacked in all departments and even though it was still good in its own right, but, like I said, not good enough. Incidentally, the next trek movie is being produced by J.J. Abrams (of LOST fame), and its set to be released in May 2009. Although I'm not a great fan of LOST, but here's hoping that J.J. Abrams would do a good job of directing it and hopefully bring back the glory-days for the franchise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked that guy in Quantum Leap. That was one good series...which I still watch on ACTION TV!!!

William Shatner was the best...in Star Trek roles...nothing was anywhere close to him...

The Middleman said...

I found Enterprise to be the best of the Trek Series despite its apparent flaws. The cast was brilliant, special effects wonderful and the concept of the story lines outstanding. Unfortunately it suffered from bad writing for two and one half seasons. It did come into it's own in the middle of Season three when Manny Coto took over, but Trek Fans just weren't going to give it another shot. The series was "done in" by a variety of issues, not just the witting, including a mismanaged network and the narrow mindedness of Star Trek fans.

Like you, I hope that Abrams is able revive the franchise that was destroyed by the CBS management but I'm afraid the future of the franchise is going to be limited to Kirk /Spock reboots for a very long time to come. The studio will no longer take risks and will continue to give narrow minded Trek fans what they think will satisfy them. I have a feeling that the creativity Star Trek has enjoyed for the last 20 plus years is gone.

Unknown said...

@UTP
Well, each Captain had their own qualities but I guess Shatner has his following.

@Middleman
I agree with you on the fact that it was different in a good way. I hope you're wrong about the creativity bit. They've produced some damn good tv shows before and there's no reason they can't do it again - properly this time. but that may be a long time coming given this recent setback. Let's hope this J.J.Abrams movie takes the trek franchise back up a little.

Post a Comment